If you know me well, you know I’m a thrift store whore. Like, really. Now, don’t get me wrong. I have a very specific list of things I will *not* buy at a thrift store under any circumstances... although I’m almost positive that my list is shorter than most. Whatever. I’ve got a strong stomach (just not strong enough for underwear or bathing suits if that’s what you’re thinking...although I totally did buy a bathing suit at the Unclaimed Baggage store, but I bleached it and stuff... whatever. Not the point).
I’ve kind of got another list of things that I’ll almost *always* buy at thrift stores when I find them. The list, at least as far as decorative items go, is pretty obvious walking around my house.
Colored Glass Bottles & Sturdy Wall Shelves

Paintable Picture Frames with any amount of Ornate-ness

Mirrors in an Interesting Shape

and, probably the newest fixation on my list,
CLOCKS.
And now, for the point of this post (using the term ‘point’ loosely since I’m not entirely sure my posts ever have a point). I made a quick stop in the Lovelady Thrift Store the other day between work and rehearsal. This happened.

HELLO. I mean, seriously. If it was possible to fall in love with a small, dresser-top clock, date it and take it home to meet my parents, this would be The One for me. It is shiny. It is ornate. It has a pedestal foot. It works (which ironically enough is one of my *major* qualifiers for falling in love, dating and taking ANYTHING home to meet my parents).
Karen asked me recently if someone made my heart go “pitter-patter”. I told her that my heart doesn’t go “pitter-patter”.
I was wrong. My heart *totally* goes “pitter-patter”. Next step of 2012: be as emotionally open to people as I am to clocks. But still...small, small victories.
I’ve kind of got another list of things that I’ll almost *always* buy at thrift stores when I find them. The list, at least as far as decorative items go, is pretty obvious walking around my house.
Colored Glass Bottles & Sturdy Wall Shelves
Paintable Picture Frames with any amount of Ornate-ness
Mirrors in an Interesting Shape
and, probably the newest fixation on my list,
CLOCKS.
And now, for the point of this post (using the term ‘point’ loosely since I’m not entirely sure my posts ever have a point). I made a quick stop in the Lovelady Thrift Store the other day between work and rehearsal. This happened.
HELLO. I mean, seriously. If it was possible to fall in love with a small, dresser-top clock, date it and take it home to meet my parents, this would be The One for me. It is shiny. It is ornate. It has a pedestal foot. It works (which ironically enough is one of my *major* qualifiers for falling in love, dating and taking ANYTHING home to meet my parents).
Karen asked me recently if someone made my heart go “pitter-patter”. I told her that my heart doesn’t go “pitter-patter”.
I was wrong. My heart *totally* goes “pitter-patter”. Next step of 2012: be as emotionally open to people as I am to clocks. But still...small, small victories.
Disclaimer: For truth in advertising, the phrase was actually "pitty-pat." But I was kidding - no one's heart should do THAT unless they're Laurie, Curly, or Ellie Mae Clampett. I am honored to have helped with your continuing self-awakening, my dear friend <3 -Karen
ReplyDeleteOh, and I would happily wear all the colors of your condo at once. A feast for my eyes. - kk
ReplyDelete